This weekend I am in Baños which is a town about 3.5 hours from Quito. It is a very touristy area (when you see the pics of the weekend...you´ll see how much I scream tourist as well) but it is known for these spring baths that are nice to sit in and relax. I´m not a big pool person so I knew before I came that I would not get in these baths. But there are a lot of other things to do in Baños...and so begins my story...
On friday, I went into the hospital and despite my doctor not being there...I was able to see a surgery of a 80 year old man who had thrombus (right spelling?) in his veins...so they had to remove the vein (if i understood the spanish correctly...you can remove the great vein without complications) in order to avoid the thrombus traveling up to his lungs and heart...it was cool because the surgeon was a women and well...Girl Power! =)
We left for Baños around 3:30 and reached at 7. So myself and my housemate, Katy, are the only ones who have the Lonely Planet Travel Guide to Ecuador. Despite us having a small group, people depend on us to find the hostals, restaurants, etc...nice at times because we have the info...but not fun at others because there are a few in the group who are a little weird...they like to get the info. they want right when they ask us (who said I was a tour guide?)...but I won´t speak any further about that because you move on and have fun w/ the other people and thank God for experiences like this! =) We stayed in this hostal called Los Nevados (6 bucks a night) and went to dinner at this Mexican Restaurant called Panchovilla...very nice. Then back to the hostal...and fell asleep watching The West Wing...in Spanish.
Saturday...ate breakfast and then did what was one of the coolest experiences...EVER. We rented mountain bikes (think: Gina has not been on a bike since she was maybe...11 years old) and we biked 20km to Rio Verde. I think that was one of the toughest things ever...I´m not used to bike riding and every time we got to a hill (only about 3)...I thought I was going to pass out. But I did it!! Don´t believe me? That´s ok...I have pictures to prove it! =) Once we got to Rio Verde, we locked up our bikes...and then walked to La Nariz del Diablo (The Devil´s Nose). It was about a 2 mile walk to this huge waterfall that looks like a face...I don´t know why it refers to the Devil because it was way to beautiful. We took a bus back to Baños because it was getting dark and then went to dinner at this Italian place (I know...you´re probably wondering why we´re eating at non-Ecuadorian places but there are few Ecuadorian restaurants here in Baños).
Overall it was a very cool day and now i am relaxing, going to do some reading and writing before we head back to Quito. I still can´t believe I was on a bike but I feel sore now and it feels great!
In other news:
-Sugar cane (caña de azúcar) is very popular here.
-If you can´t appreciate the beauty of nature...then something must be wrong...
-Bike seats are not comfortable
-Ecuadorians REALLY like reggaeton...a LOT!
-Internet is costing me 2 bucks for an hour and that is not cool.
-I am really out of shape...either that or the altitude is bleeeh.
-2 more weeks until I come home!
-Hi Mummy, Chacha, Jamie and Aimee!
-I get to work in the Emergency Room at Hospital Eugenio Espejo this week!
-The Lord is good.
Katie and I were housemates...she made the trip SO MUCH fun! I miss you Katie!!
Crossing the river on this zipline type thing...I don't know how to explain it. Sabiha, me, Rachel, and Katie.
Whoa...bungee jumping...
I'm that blue dot. =o) AWESOME experience.
That's sugarcane! They make this toffee out of it...it was very cool to watch.
Exploring. =o)
Knocked out on the ride back from Banos....sporting my Race for the Cure shirt...wahoo! =o)-gina-


1 comment:
Hello to the next Lance Armstrong, Tour De France here she COMES!!!!!!!! Goooooo GINA!
Post a Comment