-So here is a cool word for you all out there: Cheverre - cool, great, fantastic
-Another random thought: I accidently wore two different colored earrings here in Ecuador and at first I was apalled but now I actually think I might start something here in Ecuador.
-Another another random thought: I miss everyone.
-Another another another random thought: Ecuador is cheverre! =)
Today we began clinics and myself and this guy, Jerrod (pre-med), went to Salud Centro de Servicio aka La Raya en el sur de Quito. This clinic is a 45 min bus ride (QUITE the experience...we actually jumped onto the bus...it was...fabulous!). The clinic is VERY small and it is run by two women doctors (so awesome), 1 nurse, 1 technician, and 1 receptionist. It is funded by the government...so all medicines are free. Sounds good, right? It is...but the lack of medicine, supplies (think: they use a Coca-Cola bottle as a Sharps container), and vaccinations is tough. The clinic sees anyone and everyone, but there were mainly women and children. Because the doctor we were supossed to be with was not there...I was with the lab tech and helping her look at urine/blood/vaginal/stool samples. The problems and health issues people have there are much different than the US. For example...parasites. They do not wash their fruit and it comes from the coast so the sanitary conditions are not good. Huge presence of intestinal parasites.
Overall, we were surprised at the lack of well...everything. They re-use a lot of things (test tubes...and in one case, gloves) and although they use soap to wash this stuff...I just don´t know. In the US...nothing seems to be used more than one...we are very liberal with supplies for sanitary sake. So CFHI has a program where they collect medical supplies and donate them to clinics like La Raya. Before we left for the day, Jarrod and I talked to the clinic staff and tried to find out what they needed....they need things as simple as staples...to blood pressure cuffs (i think they had two)...to IV sets.
The staff was awesome...despite the limits of the clinic they were very kind and always treated the patients really well. Nobody spoke english which was good for us because it forced us to speak. At the same time it was TOUGH (think: blank look on Gina´s face when I don´t understand something). Tough mainly because they used a LOT of medical terms in spanish that I was not familiar with. But I asked lots of questions and now the staff loves us so much! Cheverre! =) I am at this clinic for the week.
So after clinic, we had Spanish class from 2-6. There are 3 people in the class which is good because you get a lot out of it. We review a lot of grammar and talk A LOT (good practice). Today we also began learning Medical Spanish so tonight I have to memorize all the parts of the body and the different systems (respiratory, digestive, circulatory...etc). I am going to make a lot of flashcards.
In other news...
-I´ve been told twice that I look like I am Brazilian...el color de mi piel. I told them otherwise. =)
-Did I already say that my host ammachi is awesome? She was a teacher for 52 years so she always makes us repeat vocab at breakfast (cucharra - spoon, tenedor - fork, cuchillo - knife). We had an awesome convo this morning about the invasion of the conquistadores espanoles en Peru en 1500. Thank goodness I took that class about Latinoamerica y sus culturas. =P
-My ammachi loves to read...she wants to read Angeles y Demonios (Angels and Demons) really bad so my housemates and I are going to get it for her. =)
-My ammachi´s daughter has lupos and has had to go to the hospital these past few nights so please pray for her...her name is Carmen...she is really nice and also hosting students.
-We walk a LOT here in Quito so I will be in good shape when I come back. The only issue is that Quito´s altitude is very high so it´s easy to get tired, out of breath...but it´s not a serious issue...I like to use that excuse instead of thinking I´m out of shape. =)
-The people I hang with here are very nice so we are going to try and go to Otavalo this weekend. It´s famous for it´s markets and there are a couple of historic sites to see.
-I paid 2 bucks for my lunch today...so good.
-Ecuador has a lot of things from America...think: TonyRomma´s, Applebees, Curves, McDonalds...it´s hilarious.
-Christina Aguilera is from Ecuador.
-We´re in an internet cafe and it´s 60 cents for an hour. The guy here loves music...American music...and he loves to sing it...it´s hilarious...from Eminem to Puff Daddy to Will Smith to Tori Amos to BSB to everything. Now we´re listening to that song where it´s like...¨You got a fast car...¨ Who sings that?
-Oooh...I wish I was home to spend time at the KUTTONS REUNION this weekend. But no worries folks...I´m on the lookout for new things to make some kuttons AND this is the land of TRES LECHES...teehee!
-I like to write lists.
Yo voy a escribir este parafo en ingles porque necesito practicar mi espanol. Una vez mas...estoy muy contenta que tengo esta oportunidad. Me gusta las clases de espanol y aunque yo fui a la clinica solamente una vez...la tiene un gran impacto. Es interesante a conocer personas de una cultura que es la opuesta de suyos. Ecuador y los Estados Unidos son muy diferentes en la comida, la lengua, los valores, los costumbres y las personas...pero en el caso de la salud...todas las personas no quieren estar enfermas. Es muy interestante.
Gorgeous Kids in the Clinic...my favorite is the second nina...she does not look impressed. =o)
Classic shot with the kids. Speaking spanish was awesome...because my level of Spanish is basically that of a 6 year old. =o) (Probably worse!)
Jarrod (the other CFHI student) and myself.
La Clinica a la Raya - the community clinic.Ok...me voy a ir y estudiar. =)
Te amo!
Chao mis amores!
-gina-
PS. YAY for all the comments! Even Mummy and Chacha wrote one!!
1 comment:
¨You got a fast car...¨ - Tracy Chapman. Come on now Gina. ;)
We will not miss you at the reunion because you'll be there in spirit. We'll leave a chair and everything. :D
KUTTONS 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment