Monday, June 06, 2005

Mariscal!

So right now, my housemates and our neighbor are in Mariscal at an internet cafe....this area is quite înteresting in that it is very modern and loud but very cool. Internet cafes are very popular here and I have realized that I am very spoiled by our wireless connection.
Yesterday a bunch of the girls in the program decided to go down to La Plaza Grande and we actually ended up getting lost because the trolle was not working because there was a MARATHON =) going on. It was really cool watching all these people run...I took a picture! We then ended up walking 5 miles (no lie) and saw La Basilica and a bunch of other cool cultural sites. It was nice walking and we ate lunch at this fusion chinese/ecuadorian place. My lunch cost 2 bucks...no lie. It was fabulous. We then took a different trolle and went back to the Spanish school to have orientation. My clinic schedule is as follows:
Week 1 - Walk-in Clinic at La Magdalena
Week 2 - Hospital Militar (Surgeria)
Week 3 - Hospital Espejo Eugenio (Emergencia)
Week 4 - La Maternidad
From the looks of the orientation...it is going to be intense because there is only one or two people per rotation....but I am happy because that means more attention! I start on Wednesday. For the first two weeks, it will be a combination of clases and clinic. Last night we ate dinner with our Host Ammachi around 7 and then spent a lot of time talking to her. She has a lot of stories to tell and she is really good about correcting our Spanish when we speak. She was a teacher for 52 years and she taught spanish and french. She then owned a daycare with her daughter but in 2000, she lost the daycare when the Ecuadorian economy started going down. The sucre was changed to the dollar and although it was to help stabilize the economy, a lot of people were negatively affected financially. So sad...but she is so strong and so loving. She always calls us her hijitas which means little daughters.
Today we had more orientation and walked around to all the hospitals. Getting around is often tough because the trolle system is confusing, but it is getting better and my spanish is flowing much better. I wish I had more stories to tell but we have not done anything super exciting as of yet. Everyone in the program is nice. We begin Spanish classes tomorrow and I have already started reading the grammar book...I know...nerdy...esto es mi. (this is me.) =)
Overall, Ecuador is a beautiful country. It is really like being in Bombay....my room is beautiful and at times, I feel very spoiled...which also could mean blessed. =)
I miss everyone...a lot.
Adios!
Praying for everyone!
Con amor,
-gina-

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What have I told you about writing/speaking Spanish to me. :p You have to translate it. Lol. I have no idea what you wrote on my blog.

We miss you too but I'm glad you have an Ammachi watching out for you. Can't get any better than that. A Mother's love is a powerful thing. So she'll take care of you.

Don't do anything I wouldn't do. ;)
love ya
aj

Jamie J said...

I'm assuming a TROLLE is the trolleY/bus system there...and why you got to be the ONLY joshua sister to go out of the country TWICE...well I played v-ball yesterday and they really need to comb the beach b/c it is filled with random grass and pieces of shattered wood...so :-P to your "La Basilica" hahah i travel and see sights lol..just adding humor to this journal...ADIOS!
-jamie
P.S. Don't mind aimee she took french so she doesn't understand ESPANOL (that's spanish aimee)...her loss hahahah

Anonymous said...

Ginita!!!
Estoy tan feliz que te diviertes!! Ecuador parece muy bueno! Todo que tienes alli es perfecto ara ti!...la madre, el cafe, la ciudad, las clinicas!! Deseo que podria estar allí con tu!

Con amor,
Yogi

Anonymous said...

Wow! I finally wrote a detailed comment and Mummy's thoughts and then Oops it disappeared. Thank God I have the patience to write again.

Gina, Mummy thinks you girls have grown up like her. I think so too.
Take care of Ammachi.

Prayer and work - a good combination for success