Sunday, June 12, 2005

¡Otovalo!

Hola =)
So right now we are in Otavalo, a town about 2 hours from Quito. So yesterday morning at 7:30, a group of the girls in the program (9 of us) took a van (with a travel guide) and traveled to many different places including Calrderon, Cotacachi, and Otavalo. Otavalo was our ultimate destination because it is known for this HUGE market where people come and sell ponchos, necklaces, cloth, earrings and a lot of other stuff. No matter how much the stuff is, you are expected to bargain so I took the skills that I observed from Sally Amamma and Nene Amamma (Chacha´s sisters) and was on my way. I didn´t do too much shopping but I had more fun bargaining....I think it´s in the blood.
BUT...before we even got to Otavalo, we went to other places. For example...LA MITAD DEL MUNDO! The equator line is in Ecuador. So we went to the place where you can stand in two hemispheres at one time...we took pictures...very touristy. =) We also went to Cotacachi where there are these two huge volcanoes. We HIKED up the volcano (not all the way up)...which was a lot of fun and something I wanted to do. But it was so tough because the altitude was at 10,000 feet and I was out of breath!
In all of this, we had a tour guide who was very good about telling us the history and stories of the Indigenous people. When we finally reached Otavalo, we did some shopping and then checked into a hostel. It was called Hostal Valle del Amanecer. It was so beautiful and cost us $7 for one night (it included breakfast). Not bad because the rooms were simple and the bathrooms were fine. My first hostal experience!
This morning (Sunday), I sang some of the morning prayer songs to myself (I miss church...) and we walked around Otavalo. Most of the people here are indigenous and they are some amazing people. Many of them are poor which is why the market is so popular...they make their money selling these crafts to people. We´re now in an internet cafe and we´re going to take a bus back to Quito at 4.
Tomorrow I get to go to Hospital Militar! =)
I do miss everyone though...there have many times in the past few days where I just felt like I wanted to be home...not that Ecuador isn´t nice or that I don´t enjoy the hospitals...I really do but yep...I just miss everyone. =)

In other news:
-A delicacy here is cuy...which means guinea pig.
-It is interesting to see the different ways people must make a living in this world.
-I like paying 2 bucks for my lunch.
-I put on SPF 50 every day because I want to avoid a tan...I think I´m crazy.
-Mummy and Chacha left me a comment on my blog. I love them so much!
-Hi Mr. Harry!
-I bought a Spanish children´s book so I can practice my spanish. It´s for ages up to 9 years old. I am 21 years old. I am humbled.
-Ecuador´s soccer team is the light of their country...it´s very cheverre.
-I can´t wait to develop the pictures I´ve taken so far.
-Te amo!

Girls on the Otovalo trip

Taken by our tour guide's 7 year old son. For those who are asking, 'GINA...WHY are you wearing a name tag?' Well...it's on the shirt...I got it when I was a Woolie at UMBC....=o)

Alpaca!

Veggies at the market

People tear this uppppppppp! Although it looks a little scary in my opinion...

La Mitad del Mundo!! Ecuador = equator. I'm straddling the equator line...YAY!

Until next time folks...Chao!
Con amor,
-gina-

No comments: